I love letters. I love letters because when put together, they sometimes explain so much about life. To me, at least. Have always been a “quote” collector; some people can just explain everything better than I can at any moment in time.
Scouring my bookshelves this afternoon, I found a book of quotes my dear friend gave me in 1980. I’d been looking for another book for an explanation of some experiences that keep repeating themselves. I found that too, but this 30-year old treasure has plenty of relevant material as well. Let the sharing begin:
“What is said drunk has been thought out beforehand.”
- “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.”
- “Nothing is so strong as gentleness; nothing is so gentle as real strength.”
- “Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.”
- “There is no such thing as a little garlic.”
- “Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself.”
- “Don’t see all you see and don’t hear all you hear.”
That last quote is pertinent to my experiences this week. Lots of commotion, talks about friendship, and realizations about some personal relationships. In an article written in the March 2010 issue of O Magazine, author Paige Williams wrote about “Friendship Detox”. She listed some great pointers regarding friends vs. frenemies, keeping in mind that “friendship is about collaboration, not domination.” If you have some funky relationships or nine, Williams says to ask yourself:
- “Do you look forward to seeing this person or is it a chore?”
- “Is she truly happy to see you, or do you suspect she wants something from you or needs to lord something over you?”
- “Will you walk away from this meeting feeling good – or manipulated, demeaned, poisoned, or played?”
That is some brain munch, and most necessary at times. Other related quotes popped up, like, “There’s a special place in hell for women who do not help other women,” from the mouth of Madeleine Albright (!). My take on the whole frenemy thing – never complain to – or trust – a faux friend. Leaving this topic with a quote from my mom, “Some people are about as deep as a pie pan.” And we:’re walking …..
- “If you don’t throw it, they can’t hit it.”
- “Never let the bottom of your purse or your mind be seen.”
- “A narrow mind has a broad tongue.”
- “When it comes to helping you, some people stop at nothing.”
- “It is the cracked ones that let the light through.”
- “Don’t complain, don’t explain.”
- “Opportunity at every door knocketh, but it has never been known to pick a lock.”
- “Turn a frown upside down and all the frown juice will fall out.”
- “If you have to ask what “jazz”is, you will never know.”
- “Never put off ’til tomorrow what you can get by with not doing at all.”
That’s all I have for today, folks! I’m positive you have some good ones. Share!
Happy Weekend. Over and out.